In search of any hope past simply enjoying out a string of meaningless video games whereas hoping QB Deshaun Watson exhibits the upside longed for, the Cleveland Browns face off with the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday Evening Soccer. For the Browns, that is one last-ditch hope of holding the season alive with a victory over an AFC North rival.
The Bengals, then again, are hoping to maintain tempo with the Baltimore Ravens on the prime of the division. At 4-3, Cincinnati hasn’t had the beginning that they hoped for however that has been true for lots of groups across the NFL this yr.
Earlier than tonight’s sport, I took a have a look at the Bengals video games to this point this yr to see if there’s something we are able to study. Why did they win? Why did they lose?
All three of their losses have come by three factors together with two to high quality groups (Dallas and Baltimore). Their Week 1 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers was largely as a consequence of failures with their kicking unit.
- The three losses have been Cincinnati’s lowest level outputs of the seasons: 17 (twice) and 20
- Two out of the three got here on the highway
- QB Joe Burrow struggled in numerous methods in every loss: 4 INTs in Week 1, beneath 200 yards versus the Cowboys and simply over 200 yards and an INT versus the Ravens
- Curiously, RB Joe Mixon had his finest video games in Bengals losses
- The protection solely had one sack in every loss
Three of the 4 Cincinnati victories got here towards groups which can be doing higher in 2022 than many thought they’d: New York Jets, Miami and Atlanta. The opposite victory got here towards the New Orleans Saints who’ve struggled as a consequence of important accidents on the offensive facet of the ball.
- The protection held three of the opponents to 17 factors or much less (17, 15 and 12)
- Burrow had 11 touchdowns and 0 interceptions within the 4 victories
- Three completely different receivers (their three stars) led the staff in yardage within the 4 completely different video games
- Mixon had 61 yards speeding or much less in all 4 wins (61, 58, 45 and 24)
- Bengals had 9 sacks and 20 tackles for loss mixed of their 4 victories
The outcomes of a fast evaluation of Cincinnati’s season to this point will not be shocking. To beat the Bengals the Browns should:
- Win the turnover battle
- Restrict Burrow
- Rating 20 or extra factors (which they’ve six of seven video games)
- Defend QB Jacoby Brissett and restrict the variety of damaging performs
- Surprisingly, not less than primarily based on their season to this point, let Mixon have an excellent (not nice) sport
- Have the gang make issues powerful on Cincinnati’s offense
Attainable? Certain. Possible? Given the staff’s struggles on protection, most likely not however that’s the reason the video games are performed.
What do you assume an important factor for the Browns to do tonight to beat the Bengals?