The celebs of the ATP Tour this week are set to take centre stage on the Rolex Paris Masters, the ultimate ATP Masters 1000 occasion of the season. World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz, defending champion Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are in motion.
It is usually the ultimate week of the common season, with the ultimate Nitto ATP Finals qualification spots in singles and doubles nonetheless up for grabs. ATPTour.com appears to be like at 10 issues you need to watch at Paris-Bercy.
View Attracts: Singles | Doubles
1) Reigning Champion Djokovic: Novak Djokovic will look to seize a record-extending seventh Paris title and third in a row when he takes to courtroom on the ATP Masters 1000 occasion subsequent week. The 35-year-old, who defeated Daniil Medvedev within the championship match final 12 months, has received his previous 9 matches, lifting trophies in Tel Aviv and Astana. The sixth-seeded Serbian will open in opposition to Diego Schwartzman or Maxime Cressy as he appears to be like to keep up his good latest type.
2) Alcaraz Chasing Sixth Title: The 19-year-old arrives in Paris aiming to write down one other chapter into his fairytale season. The Spaniard, who will compete on the Nitto ATP Finals in November, received ATP Masters 1000 titles in Miami and Madrid earlier this season earlier than he captured the US Open crown, turning into the youngest participant to rise to No. 1 within the historical past of the Pepperstone ATP Rankings (since 1973).
Alcaraz will likely be making his second look in Paris after reaching the third spherical on debut final 12 months when he was World No. 35. This week will likely be vital within the teen’s pursuit of year-end No. 1.
3) Nadal Returns: Nadal will compete for the primary time since September on the Laver Cup, the place he partnered Roger Federer within the ultimate match of the Swiss’ profession. The Spaniard reached the fourth spherical on the US Open in his earlier tour-level singles occasion. Nadal will look to search out his type shortly as he pursues a sixth year-end World No. 1 end.
The 36-year-old, who holds a 38-5 report on the season, will likely be attempting to win his first Paris title. Nadal’s greatest run within the French capital got here in 2007, when he superior to the championship match.
4) After Medvedev’s Qualification, Rublev Aiming To Seal Turin Spot: After Daniil Medvedev certified for the Nitto ATP Finals on Saturday, Andrey Rublev will look to seal his spot on the season finale when he performs in Paris. He presently has 3,440 factors, placing him 530 factors forward of eighth-placed American Taylor Fritz. The 25-year-old, who’s aiming to make his third consecutive look on the prestigious year-end championships, misplaced within the second spherical in Vienna final week. He’ll look to bounce again when he takes on John Isner or a qualifier in his opening match in Paris.
5) Can Felix Maintain On? Felix Auger-Aliassime arrives in Paris in high type. The Canadian has received consecutive tour-level trophies in Florence and Antwerp and continues to be alive in Basel.
Auger-Aliassime presently sits seventh within the Pepperstone ATP Dwell Race To Turin with 3,435 factors as he holds onto the ultimate qualifying place for Turin. He’s 525 factors away from eighth-placed Fritz as he seeks to make his debut on the season finale. If the Canadian wins his fourth tour-level title of the season in Basel, he’ll transfer forward of Rublev (3,440 factors) and into sixth.
6) Fritz & Hurkacz In Pursuit: Fritz and Hubert Hurkacz will likely be able to pounce ought to Medvedev, Rublev or Auger-Aliassime fall early. The American Fritz (2,910 factors) boosted his qualification possibilities when he lifted his third tour-level trophy of the season in Tokyo in October. He might face Auger-Aliassime in a essential third-round conflict in Paris.
Hurkacz competed in Turin final 12 months and can want a deep run if he’s to return subsequent month. The Pole, who has 2,860 factors, will start his marketing campaign in France in opposition to French wild card Adrian Mannarino, whereas Fritz performs Alejandro Davidovich Fokina.
View Pepperstone ATP Dwell Race To Turin
7) Ruud & Tsitsipas Wanting To Bounce Again: Third seed Casper Ruud and fifth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas will attempt to reply after early exits in Basel and Vienna, respectively, final week. The Norwegian Ruud misplaced within the first spherical in opposition to Stan Wawrinka, however will intention to rediscover the shape that noticed him win three tour-level titles and attain two Grand Slam finals earlier this season.
The Greek Tsitsipas, who fell to Borna Coric within the second spherical in Vienna, will likely be chasing his third trophy of the season and second ATP Masters 1000 crown when he takes to courtroom. The 24-year-old’s greatest consequence within the French capital got here in 2019, when he reached the quarter-finals, whereas Ruud superior to that stage final 12 months.
8) #NextGenATP Stars In Motion: In November, Holger Rune, Lorenzo Musetti and Brandon Nakashima will make their second appearances on the Intesa Sanpaolo Subsequent Gen ATP Finals, whereas Jack Draper will make his debut. Nevertheless, earlier than Milan, they may look to mild up Paris with deep runs on the season’s ultimate Masters 1000 occasion.
Earlier this month, Rune lifted his second tour-level trophy in Stockholm. On the identical day, Musetti captured his second tour-level crown when he triumphed in Naples.
9) Simon Set For Farewell: French wild card Gilles Simon will compete in Paris for the ultimate time, with the 37-year-old retiring on the finish of the season. Simon, who earned his five hundredth tour-level win earlier this 12 months at Roland Garros, will likely be making his sixteenth look on house soil, along with his greatest consequence was a run to the semi-finals in 2012. The Frenchman begins in opposition to former World No. 1 Andy Murray.
10) Doubles Groups Battle For Closing Spots: With one week to go, there are nonetheless 4 doubles qualification spots accessible on the Nitto ATP Finals. Fifth-placed pair Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos arrive in Paris with 3,560 factors. Lloyd Glasspool and Harri Heliovaara are sixth within the Pepperstone ATP Dwell Doubles Groups Rankings (3,240).
Ninth-placed group Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek, who’re nonetheless alive in Basel, are ninth (2,900), with Tenth-placed Italians Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini (2,670) aiming to make a late push in Paris.